Variation to electricity transmission licence application – Oz Minerals Prominent Hill Operations Pty Ltd
- Project Released: 16 Jul 2020
- Project Closes: Sep 2020
- Contact: Georgina Lawrence
The Commission has received an application from Oz Minerals Prominent Hill Operations Pty Ltd for a variation to its electricity transmission licence authorising operation of the 132kV line from Olympic Dam to Prominent Hill and the associated 132/17-33kV substation at Prominent Hill and 11kV reticulation to the mine site village.
Current status is Initiate
The Commission has received an application from Oz Minerals Prominent Hill Operations Pty Ltd for a variation to its electricity transmission licence in accordance with the Electricity Act 1996 (Electricity Act). The variation would amend the licence to authorise:
- A 132kV single circuit line extending from the connection point with the ElectraNet owned and operated 132kV line at structure F1881-0491 to the Prominent Hill 132/11-33 kV substation located at Prominent Hill
- the associated 132/11-33 kV substation located at Prominent Hill comprising of three 132/11 kV 45MVA transformers , two 11/33kV transformers, and reactive power plant comprising of two 11kv 16MVA STATCOMs with associated switchgear and protection systems
- 11kV reticulation to the mine site village
In assessing a request for variation the Commission considers the relevant licensing provisions set out in the Electricity Act. It will also have regard to its primary objective under the Essential Services Commission Act 2002, being the protection of the long-term interests of South Australian consumers with respect to the price, quality and reliability of essential services, and other factors as they apply to the Commission's role as an economic regulator of the South Australian electricity industry.
In making its assessment, the Commission considers advice from the Office of the Technical Regulator. Matters related to health and environment protection are regulated under separate legislative frameworks.
Oz Minerals Prominent Hill Operations Pty Ltd’s application is subject to a public consultation period closing on 12 August 2020.
The Commission welcomes submissions on any matters relevant to the application.