From 1 January 2013, any person or entity providing a water or sewerage
“retail service” in South Australia will be required to be licensed by the
The Water Industry Act 2012 defines a “retail service” as:
- sale and supply of water to a person for use where the water is to be
conveyed by a reticulated system; or
- the sale and supply of sewerage services (the collection, storage, treatment
or conveyance of sewage through a reticulated system) for the removal of sewage,
even if the service is not actually used.
A retail service includes, but is not limited to, the following
- Drinking water services;
- Sewerage services;
- Recycled water/Stormwater services;
- Other non-drinking water services; and
- Other miscellaneous water and sewerage services.
If you currently provide or intend to provide any of these services, you
should contact us to discuss possible licensing requirements under Part 4 of the
Water Industry Act. Refer to the Licence
Applications page for further information.
For information on the fees applicable to your licence refer to Licence