Prepayment Meter System Code Review
- Project Released: 17 Mar 2021
- Project Closes: Dec 2022
- Contact: Tamsyn Hinksman
The Commission is undertaking a review of the Prepayment Meter System Code (Code) as part of a wider review of the off-grid energy consumer protection framework. The Code regulates the operation of prepayment meter systems by off-grid energy retailers (ie, those not covered under national energy regulatory frameworks), and applies as a condition of each retail licence granted by the Commission under the Electricity Act 1996 or the Gas Act 1997. The Code establishes minimum consumer protection requirements for customers using prepayment meter systems.
Current status is Submissions
- Further info
The Commission decided to expand this review of the Prepayment Meter System Code to consider the Commission’s off-grid energy consumer protections more generally. A broader review of all the Commission’s small-scale energy consumer protections was undertaken in 2022-23. The Final Decision on the Small-scale energy networks consumer protections framework review.
The Commission received four submissions on the Prepayment Meter System Code Review – Issues Paper.
The Commission thanks those who provided submissions and those who attended meetings with the Commission and will consider all submissions.
Submission policy and disclaimer
The Commission accepts submissions from third parties in good faith.
Any and all views, statements or opinions expressed by a third party in a submission are those of that third party and the Commission does not necessarily accept or endorse any of those views, statements or opinions.
The Commission may, in its discretion, decide to redact all or part of a submission if it:
- contains information that cannot be published
- breaches privacy legislation or other legislation
- may result in the identification of an individual without their consent
- contains inflammatory, offensive or inappropriate content
- is defamatory or slanderous or may expose the Commission to legal action
- is confidential or commercially sensitive
- is outside the terms of reference of the review, project or regulatory decision that the submission relates to breaches any intellectual property rights
- is in breach of any contractual obligations prohibiting disclosure or publication, and/or
- is otherwise appropriate to redact.
The Commission accepts no liability for, nor makes any warranty in respect of, the accuracy, reliability, currency or completeness of any material or content contained in a submission of a third party and is not liable to any person or organisation named in a submission where it:
- withholds or fails to withhold a submission and/or personal information from publication
- redacts parts of a submission in line with its submission policy requirements.
If you use or rely on any material or content contained in a third party submission, you do so solely at your own risk.