Vacancy: Senior Economist
10 Jan 2022
Do you want to be part of a team delivering critical price and access regulation outcomes across a range of industries and essential services for the benefit of all South Australians?
Do you want an opportunity to present your ideas and work closely with senior management, Commissioners, and a wide range of stakeholders?
Do you want to work in an employee focused, high performing statutory organisation with strong support for your individual learning and development?
Salary range: $92,784 - $98,143
Who are we?
The Essential Services Commission is an independent statutory authority that regulates the provision of essential services in the water and sewerage, electricity, gas, ports and rail industries. Our primary objective is to protect the long-term interests of South Australian consumers with respect to the price, quality and reliability of essential services.
Who are we looking for?
Due to staff turnover, a rare opportunity exists for an experienced Senior Economist to join our Consumer Protection and Pricing team. You will undertake complex economic and financial modelling in relation to the Commission’s pricing and access regulation, industry monitoring, and advisory functions.
You will be part of a small, high-performing team, and participate directly in policy discussions and stakeholder engagement.
Your significant experience in economic and financial analysis will be supported by appropriate qualifications, and your understanding of economic regulation. You will provide analysis and advice on a diverse range of economic and financial matters, including pricing, access, market structure and competition issues.
What you will need to be successful?
- Your demonstrated ability to undertake economic / financial analysis with a “big picture” outcome focus
- You are collaborative and enjoy working as part of a small and diverse team
- Your excellent communication skills, including writing reports, discussion papers, briefings, and other documents that are easy to read and explain complex economic concepts in simple language for a general audience.
- Your skills in planning and prioritising your work to meet deadlines, including dealing with competing demands and working across multiple projects.
- You can present yourself and your ideas effectively and professionally and represent the Commission in a wide range of forums.
Experience in areas of relevance to the Commission, including the industries regulated and/or regulatory experience would also be highly regarded.
The Commission and the South Australian public sector promote diversity and flexible ways of working, including part-time. Applicants are encouraged to discuss flexible working arrangements for this role. These positions are initially offered on a fixed-term contract with the possibility for extension or ongoing employment.
The Commission adopts a zero tolerance approach to towards domestic violence and disrespectful behaviours of any kind in the workplace and in the broader community.
How to apply
Please email the following documents to Rachel Wilkinson, Manager, People and Corporate via email@example.com;
- a one-page pitch telling us what would make you successful in the role
- current CV, and
- a completed and signed South Australian Public Sector pre-employment declaration.
All documents should be submitted in pdf format.
For a confidential discussion about the role, please call Mark Caputo, Manager, Economics on 8463 4320 or Rachel Wilkinson, Manager, People and Corporate on 8463 4448.
Applications close on Sunday 6 February 2022.