Electricity generation licence application - Energy Generation
- Project Released: 11 Apr 2016
- Project Closes: 10 Aug 2016
- Contact: Julie Dixon
The Commission has received an application from Energy Generation Pty Ltd
(Energy Generation) for an electricity generation licence. The application
comprises of two parts.
- Energy Generation is seeking to transfer the generation licence currently
held by the District Council of Coober Pedy.
- Energy Generation is seeking to expand the current diesel generation plant
to include wind and solar generation.
Current status is Final
On 5 April 2016, Energy Generation Pty Ltd (Energy Generation) applied to the Commission for an electricity generation licence in accordance with the Electricity Act 1996 (Act). The application comprised two parts:
- Energy Generation sought to transfer the generation licence currently held by the District Council of Coober Pedy. This licence authorises the operation of a generation plant at Coober Pedy which consists of 8 Deutz TBD620 diesel generators, each rated 0.5 megawatts (MW).
- Energy Generation sought to expand the current generation plant to include wind and solar generation. The wind generation comprises of two 2 MW Senvion MM92 wind turbines, located approximately 3.2km and 3.7km south east of the current generation plant. The solar generation comprises of a 1 MW First Solar solar array and is located approximately 1.1km south east of the current generation plant.
The Commission undertook a round of public consultation in relation to the application and received no submissions from stakeholders.
The Commission has assessed the application against the relevant provisions of the Electricity Act 1996 and the Essential Services Commission Act 2002 (as they apply to the Commission's role as an economic regulator of the South Australian electricity industry) and determined that all relevant criteria have been satisfied. It has therefore approved the application.
The electricity generation licence was issued to Energy Generation on 15 July 2016. The varied electricity licence, removing the generation operations, was issued to the District Council of Coober Pedy on 10 August 2016. A copy of the application and licences can be accessed below.