Surrender of various electricity licences
- Project Released: 26 May 2016
- Project Closes: 26 May 2016
- Contact: Julie Dixon
SA Power Networks, Cavill Power Products Pty Ltd and the Minister for
Mineral Resources and Energy have surrendered various electricity
licences held under the Electricity Act 1996.
Current status is Final
On 31 March 2016, the Commission varied Cowell Electric Supply Pty Ltd's (Cowell Electric) licence to authorise it to operate the Remote Areas Energy Supply Aboriginal Communities Scheme (RAES) following a successful tender to maintain this scheme on behalf of the SA Government. Cowell Electric commenced operation of the RAES on 1 April 2016.
Cowell Electric's licence now authorises it to undertake the following operations:
- distribution operations previously authorised under SA Power Networks' Remote Areas Distribution Licence
- generation operations previously authorised by Cavill Power Products Pty Ltd’s Generation Licence
- retail operations previously authorised by the Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy Retail Licence.
As a result, the Commission has received notification from SA Power Networks, Cavill Power Products Pty Ltd and the Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy for the surrender of their licences. Further, each entity requested to shorten the six month notice period required in the Electricity Act 1996. The Commission considered this request and agreed with each electricity entity to shorten the required period of notice.
Therefore, each electricity licence has been surrendered as follows:
- SA Power Networks Remote Areas Distribution Licence - effective 6 April 2016
- Cavill Power Products Pty Ltd Generation Licence - effective 6 May 2016
- The Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy Retail Licence - effective 29 June 2016.
The Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy will retain its generation licence and will continue to provide generation operations in Oak Valley and Yalata.